Holiday Security Tips
Holidays are a time for the hard working to relax, unwind and get a change of scenery but they are also a period when criminals are on high alert for signs of easy prey and empty houses.
- A still, dark house with no movement during the day and no lights turned on at night alerts criminals that the home is unoccupied and an easy target. But don't go bananas and leave all the lights on. Just leave a few lights on in the rooms of the house that you would usually turn on in the evening. Purchase a timer at a hardware store, to set the lights to turn on and off at certain times.
- Consider using a timer to turn on the television or radio to further create an illusion that there are people in the house.
- If you are not using them already get some outdoor light bulbs with built in day-night sensors as these will also save you money in the long run as you won't ever have to worry about forgetting to turn off the lights.
- Ask a neighbour to collect your mail, newspapers and refuse bags as a full postbox and driveway strewn with newspapers and bags dropped off by the refuse removal service are another alert to an empty house.
- Trim shrubs away from around the house so that intruders can be easily spotted.