KSS Incidents 31 May - 9 June 2019
Dear KSS clients
Thank you for the positive response to the Rotary Club of Howick and Hilton Cycle project. Please read more at the end of this newsletter if you would still like to contribute.
Security Advice for the holiday season
• Advise the KSS Control Room if you are going away and ensure that you supply all the necessary information regarding key holders and emergency contacts.
• If you are hiring a house sitter, ensure that you teach them how to use your alarm system correctly. Also advise the KSS Control Room who they are and what their contact name and number is.
• Inform your neighbours of your plans.
• Stop all newspaper deliveries and ask a friend or neighbour to collect your post.
• Double check that you have locked and secured all windows and doors before leaving home. Always set your alarm.
• Ensure that all your out-buildings (garage, cottage, garden shed) and veranda are secured.
• Ensure that external PIR beams are in working order and cut away excess foliage near these external beams so that false alarms are not triggered.
• Have good exterior lighting, preferably on a timer or movement sensitive.
• Make sure that your gate motor and battery are secured.
• Make your property “less desirable” to break into than those around you. Deflect the crime away from you.
• Create extra layers of protection around your house. Put up security gates, glass “smash” sensors on large panes of windows and external beams that can also be active while you are at home. All these options slow down criminals and also allow for early warning and detection.
• Be responsible for your OWN safety and security.
• Support local community crime projects or initiatives like the uMngeni Community Safety Initiative (UCSI).
There were 3 incidents in Merrivale. There were 3 incidents in Howick. There were 2 incidents in Hilton. There was 1 incident in Howick West.
Incidents 31 May – 9 June 2019
31 May 2019 16:47 Greenfields Place (Merrivale) The KSS Control Room received a panic activation. A KSS Response unit was dispatched and the KSS Officers advised that the wendy house had been broken into. The fence had been cut. A bicycle was stolen. SAPS were advised.
01 June 2019 12:03 Greenfields Place (Merrivale) The KSS Control Room received a panic activation. A KSS Response unit and KSS K9 sniffer dog were dispatched and the KSS Officers advised that the wendy house had been broken into again. Nothing was stolen. SAPS were advised.
04 June 2019 09:53 Aster Road (Howick West) The KSS Control Room received a panic activation. A KSS Response unit was dispatched and the KSS Officers advised that a steel table had been stolen. The client advised he would report the incident to SAPS.
04 June 2019 16:13 Corner of Berea and Bell Street (Howick) A KSS Manager called in to the KSS Control Room and reported that there had been an accident. A KSS Response unit and SAPS were dispatched. Midlands EMS and uMngeni Traffic were in attendance. The patient was treated on scene and transported to hospital.
06 June 2019 01:01 Hillary Road (Hilton) The KSS Control Room received a call from the client advising that he had heard a noise in the yard. A KSS Response unit was dispatched and the KSS Officers reported that a fence pole had been removed from the back of the property. Nothing was stolen. KSS Officers patrolled the area and adjoining forest. The client advised no need for SAPS.
06 June 2019 06:25 Main Street (Howick) The KSS Control Room received a call from the client to advise that she had been mugged. A KSS Response unit was dispatched and the KSS Officers confirmed that a computer bag had been stolen. There was no description of the suspect. SAPS were advised.
07 June 2019 15:40 Boston Bulwer Road (Merrivale) The KSS Control Room were advised that there were products from the site lying outside the fence line. A KSS Response unit was dispatched and the KSS Officers confirmed that there had been no damage to the fence or forced entry. A full perimeter check was done. The items were recovered. No need for SAPS.
09 June 2019 03:30 Irvine Road (Hilton) The KSS Control Room was advised by Amlec Security that there had been a positive break-in to an Amlec client. A KSS Response unit was dispatched and the KSS Officers advised that entry had been gained by breaking a window. A laptop was stolen. SAPS were advised and Amlec took over the incident from KSS. The KSS Response unit did extra patrols in the area.
09 June 2019 10:50 Campbell Road (Howick) The KSS Control Room were advised that a suspect trying to steel scrap metal had been apprehended. A KSS Response unit was dispatched and the KSS Officers assisted the client. A case was opened at Howick SAPS.
Knight Security Solutions is PROUDLY affiliated to and working alongside the uMngeni Community Safety Initiative (UCSI) NPC. The UCSI has had numerous successes in the community with over 12 criminals and vehicles (stolen and other) being arrested and impounded since March this year. Without these ANPR SNIPR camera mounted gantries at our community access / egress locations, we would not have been any the wiser as to these criminals coming into our space.
Don’t become a victim of a crime where a vehicle is involved. Become a contributing member to the UCSI so that this local community camera network can continue to grow. Go to www.ucsi.org.za or like their Facebook page.
NOTE: Debbie Preston is NO LONGER employed at KSS (since October 2018) and has been working full-time on the UCSI community project. The UCSI is encouraging ALL Security Companies in the Community to come on board and affiliate to the UCSI so that TOGETHER with Law Enforcement we can ALL tackle crime.
Rotary Club of Hilton and Howick
The Rotary club of Howick and Hilton is working with the Rotary Cycle Project in South Africa, together with Bicycles for Humanity in the United States. A container of about 500 pink bicycles (20inch) has arrived by container in Durban and is ready to make its way up to Howick for us to distribute to our community schools.
But we need help. There are various costs involved in getting the container cleared at the harbour and then transported from Durban to Howick. Knight Security Solutions is going to donate R1500 towards this bicycle project with The Rotary Club of Howick and Hilton.
KSS would like to appeal to our clients (Private and Business) to come on board and help contribute towards getting this container of bicycles delivered to Howick. Rotary, together with the uMngeni Community Safety Imitative (UCSI) and KSS will ensure the safe distribution of bicycles to the various community schools.
The banking details for donations are:
Acc Name: Rotary Club of Howick
Br Code: 220725
Acc No: 52530790247
Please report all incidents to SAPS – no matter how small.
The public are also encouraged to attend monthly CPF meetings:
• Mpophomeni – 1st Thursday of the month at 5pm at Mpophomeni Tourism. Next one 4 July 2019
• Hilton – 3rd Thursday of the month at 5.30pm at the Hilton Lions Hall. Next one 21 June 2019.
• Howick – Last Thursday of the month at 5.00pm at the Howick Police Station. Next one 28 June 2019.
Make sure your property is clearly numbered
Clear numbering will ensure that all Response and Emergency services are easily able to locate your property.
Stay safe and get involved in making a difference to the level of crime in our community.
Gary and the KSS Team