KSS Incidents 24 - 30 November 2019
Dear KSS Clients
There were a number of suspects apprehended this past week by alert KSS Reaction Officers and proactive monitoring of security systems. Well done team!
Useful Security Tips for the Upcoming Holiday Season
• Advise your security company if you are going away and ensure that you supply all the necessary information regarding key holders and emergency contacts. Also ensure that your alarm system is in good working order.
• Inform your neighbours of your holiday plans so that they can keep an eye on your property.
• Stop all newspaper deliveries and ask a friend or neighbour to collect your post. A bulging post box is a real giveaway that you are not at home.
• If you are hiring a house sitter, ensure that you teach them how to use your alarm correctly. Also advise your security company about who they are and what their contact number is.
• Double check that you have locked and secured all windows and doors before leaving home. Thunderstorms and wind can trigger false alarms.
• Ensure that all your out-buildings (garage, cottage, garden shed) are secured. Also ensure that external PIR beams are in working order and cut away excess foliage near these external beams so that false alarms are not triggered.
• Never leave a key in a door which has glass panels or glass near the door lock.
• Having security gates fitted on outer doors is a highly effective security measure that gives you an extra line of defence.
• Sliding doors can be secured simply by placing a piece of timber cut to size in the sliding rail. Make sure that sliding doors cannot be lifted vertically. Preferably have a sliding gate across the front all sliding doors.
• Full fencing and sturdy driveway gates are a good deterrent. Make sure that your gate motor and battery are also secured. You can also link your gate motor to your house alarm system.
• Have good exterior lighting, preferably on a timer or movement sensitive. Criminals do not like lighting.
• Do not leave ladders, spades or tools lying about outside as they can be used to break into your house. Do not leave other valuables in view from the road as opportunistic criminals will steal these.
• Clear signage indicating that you have a security company also helps to discourage criminals.
Incident summary (crime and other)
There were 4 incidents in Howick. There were 3 incidents in Merrivale. There was 1 incident in Howick West. There was 1 incident in Birnamwood.
KSS Incidents 24 – 30 November 2019
24 November 2019 03:00 Main Street (Howick) Alert KSS Reaction Officers managed to apprehend a suspect damaging an ATM machine in Howick CBD. SAPS were advised and the suspects was handed over to SAPS. The client was advised and SAPS took over the incident from KSS. A case was opened.
24 November 2019 03:13 Saligna Road (Merrivale) The KSS Control Room received a panic activation from the on-site Security Guard. A KSS Response unit was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that the fence had been cut. SAPS and the KSS K9 unit were dispatched. SAPS took over the incident from KSS.
24 November 2019 12:41 Saligna Road (Merrivale) Alert KSS Reaction Officers apprehended a suspect on site. The suspect was in possessions of stolen goods. SAPS were advised and took over the incident from KSS.
24 November 2019 18:32 Saligna Road (Merrivale) The KSS Control Room received an alarm activation. A KSS Response unit was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that they checked the site and there was nothing amiss. The client was advised.
25 November 2019 21:45 Symmonds Lane (Howick) The KSS Control Room were advised about a break-in. A KSS Response unit was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that the door had been forced open and some paint stolen. SAPS were advised and took over the incident from KSS. KSS placed a Security Guard on-site as per the client’s request.
26 November 2019 01:19 Valley view Road (Howick West) The KSS Control Room received an alarm activation. A KSS Response unit was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that a battery had been stolen from a vehicle. The client advised no need for SAPS and that they would open a case in the morning.
26 November 2019 19:10 Birnamwood Road (Birnamwood) The KSS Control Room received a call from a client requesting assisting with poachers on-site. A KSS Response unit was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that one suspect was apprehended. SPCA and SAPS were advised. SAPS took over the incident and a case was opened.
27 November 2019 08:56 Falls Drive (Howick) The KSS Control Room were advised about a possible break-in. A KSS Response unit was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that a roller door had been forced open and wires cut. Nothing was stolen. SAPS were advised. KSS handed the incident over to SAPS.
28 November 2019 09:46 Main Street (Howick) The KSS Control Room were advised by the client that there has been a positive break-in. A KSS Response unit was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that an amplifier had been stolen. The alarm was not set. The client advised no need for SAPS.
Have a safe week.
Remember – You are safer with us!
Gary and the dedicated KSS Team.