Dear KSS Clients
Alarm and security advice
Please remember to set your alarms. Also ensure that all out-buildings and storerooms are protected by an alarm. You can also link your gate to your house alarm. For all your alarm system installations and upgrades, CCTV cameras, gate alarms, biometrics, access control, guarding and other security advice, KSS are able to assist you.
Useful Security Tips for the Upcoming Holiday Season
• Advise your security company if you are going away and ensure that you supply all the necessary information regarding key holders and emergency contacts. Also ensure that your alarm system is in good working order.
• Inform your neighbours of your holiday plans so that they can keep an eye on your property.
• Stop all newspaper deliveries and ask a friend or neighbour to collect your post. A bulging post box is a real giveaway that you are not at home.
• If you are hiring a house sitter, ensure that you teach them how to use your alarm correctly. Also advise your security company about who they are and what their contact number is.
• Double check that you have locked and secured all windows and doors before leaving home. Thunderstorms and wind can trigger false alarms.
• Ensure that all your out-buildings (garage, cottage, garden shed) are secured. Also ensure that external PIR beams are in working order and cut away excess foliage near these external beams so that false alarms are not triggered.
• Never leave a key in a door which has glass panels or glass near the door lock.
• Having security gates fitted on outer doors is a highly effective security measure that gives you an extra line of defense.
• Sliding doors can be secured simply by placing a piece of timber cut to size in the sliding rail. Make sure that sliding doors cannot be lifted vertically. Preferably have a sliding gate across the front all sliding doors.
• Full fencing and sturdy driveway gates are a good deterrent. Make sure that your gate motor and battery are also secured. You can also link your gate motor to your house alarm system.
• Have good exterior lighting, preferably on a timer or movement sensitive. Criminals do not like lighting.
• Do not leave ladders, spades or tools lying about outside as they can be used to break into your house. Do not leave other valuables in view from the road as opportunistic criminals will steal these.
• Clear signage indicating that you have a security company also helps to discourage criminals.
Contact the KSS Control Room on 0333305911 for any further advice regarding alarm upgrades, installations, CCTV cameras, PIR beams, guarding or any other security needs or advice.
Incident Summary (crime and other)
There were 6 incidents in Merrivale. There were 6 incidents in Howick. There was 1 incident in Hilton. There was 1 incident in Karkloof. There was 1 incident in Boston.
KSS Incidents 21 November – 4 December 2021
21 November 2021 23:00 Mopane Road (Merrivale) The KSS Control Room received a panic activation. KSS Response Teams were dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that the client had heard noises and went outside to check. There were 2 suspects on site and one of them slapped the client and then ran away. Access was gained by cutting the fence and breaking the factory door. Items were stolen. KSS Officers recovered all the stolen items. KSS Officers assisted the client fix the door. SAPS were formally advised. A case was opened.
22 November 2021 13:13 Karkloof Road (Karkloof) The KSS Control Room were advise about a break-in to a non-KSS client. A KSS Response Team was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that various small electronic items had been stolen by contractors on site. There is a no alarm system. As per the resident no need for SAPS. KSS Officers managed to recover the stolen items and returned them to the resident.
23 November 2021 06:00 Hilton Avenue (Hilton) The KSS Control Room received an alarm activation. A KSS Response Team was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that there was an inebriated man on site. SAPS were formally advised. The trespasser was handed over to SAPS by KSS Officers.
24 November 2021 12:00 Karkloof Road (Howick) The KSS Control Room received a call requesting assistance. KSS Response Teams were dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that that suspects had cut the fence and then forced a garage window open. Items were stolen. KSS K9 unit and KSS Officers recovered the stolen items nearby. SAPS were formally advised. A case was opened.
25 November 2021 16:00 Paddock Crescent (Howick) The KSS Control Room were advised about a break-in. A KSS Response Team was dispatched. The KSS Officers reported that suspects had cut a lock and forced a gate open. Electronic items were stolen. SAPS were formally advised. A case was opened.