Dear KSS Clients
Here is some good security advice:
1. Make sure that your security provider is registered with PSIRA (Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority) and abides by the statutory regulations of the industry and the Department of Labour. Check out the PSIRA website at www.psira.co.za for more information.
2. Make sure you get qualified advice from your security consultant (who also needs to be registered with PSIRA). They will carry out a risk assessment and recommend a holistic security solution (alarm, CCTV cameras, fences, lighting and more) specifically suited to your property, budget and needs.
3. Test your alarm at least every 3 months and request the services of a technician immediately if your alarm is faulty. It is important to inform your security provider when you are testing your system.
5. Light up your property by installing exterior lighting. Also, consider lighting up vulnerable areas with motion detector lights.
6. When you are not home for the weekend or away on holiday, put an inside light on a timer switch to give the impression that there is someone at home.
7. Make sure that you close your windows and set your alarm when you are not at home.
8. Cut down foliage and bushes around your driveway and perimeter fence, as these act as good hiding places for would-be criminals. Also make sure that overgrown foliage is cut away from external beams so that false alarms are not triggered.
9. Automatic gates are preferable as you don't have to leave the safety of your vehicle in order to access your property. Make sure your gate motor is secure and link it to your house alarm.
10. Create a "safe area" in your home by fitting an expanding gate into which the family can retreat in an emergency.
11. Install a safe to store valuable items and copies of keys. Wall safes are usually not installed correctly. A safe must be bolted to the wall on at least TWO (2) sides. KSS can advise you further on how to install a safe correctly.
12. Add the KSS Control Room number to the speed-dial function on your phone (033 3305911).
13. Know your neighbours. Good neighbours will watch out for your home when you are away, if you ask them. They can report suspicious activity. Good neighbours can ensure normal services continue in your absence.
Incident summary (crime and other)
There were 8 incidents in Howick. There was 1 incident in Merrivale. There was 1 incident in Howick West. There was 1 incident in Howick West.