KSS Incident Report 22 - 30 June 2020
Dear KSS Clients
Please be advised that intruders are still a concern. Copper pipes, gate batteries and small electrical items are the target items at the moment. KSS Operations and Control Room staff are on the ball and KSS Officers also assisted in extinguishing a fire this past week.
Almost 99% of all fires are caused by human negligence. They are mostly caused by electrical faults or carelessness. Cigarettes, matches and lighters, candles, heating appliances and open braai fires can all cause fires if not carefully monitored. But it is not only human error that causes fires. Environmental factors such as changing weather patterns and urban spread increase the risk of fires, with the effects and level of damage often being felt more severely.
To prevent the loss of lives and property, everyone needs to be aware of the dangers of fire, especially during fire season this winter. Here are some tips to stay fire safe:
• Always extinguish fires and safely dispose of hot ash, coal and cigarettes.
• Ensure that your electrical appliances are correctly wired.
• Don’t overload power points and switch off appliances when not in use.
• Make sure gas appliances are correctly installed.
• Keep the area around your home and business clear of flammable materials (dry bush, scrub etc…)
• Never leave an open fire unattended (braai, in the fireplace at home, garden refuse etc…)
• Always make sure that you are alert in the kitchen when cooking and don’t leave the stove unattended.
• Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan.
• Clean the lint filter of your tumble dryer each time you use it.
• Take extra care when using heaters and electric blankets. Do not leave them on unattended.
• Always work in an open, cleared area when working with power tools.
• Make sure your business fire safety plan is clear and that you have your fire extinguishers serviced regularly.
• Buy a small fire extinguisher from a reputable dealer to keep in your home – note the correct way to use it and ensure that it has not expired.
• Familiarize yourself with emergency numbers in the event of a fire and medical emergency OR call the KSS 24/7 Control Room on 033 3305911.
KSS Incident Summary 22 – 30 June 2020 (crime, fire, medical and other)
There were four (4) incidents in Howick. There were three (3) incidents in Merrivale. There were two (2) incidents Birnamwood. There was one (1) incident in Merrivale Heights. There was one (1) incident in Taylors Halt.
Have a safe week and remember to report crimes to your local SAPS.
KSS - You are safer with us!
Gary and the KSS Team.